How to choose a wedding cake for your theme
I doubt you need to be told how to choose a wedding cake but in the interest of leaving no stone unturned, I’m going to do it anyway.
In all seriousness though, it’s not as simple as it may sound. Like all stages of the wedding planning journey, there are additional tasks, questions and logistical problems that popup, just to make things a little more challenging. So we’ve broken it down into the key steps to make it easy for you. Follow the steps and you can’t go wrong.
- Start by writing out your requirements. Make notes
- Do you need gluten free? Or other dietary requirements?
- Do you want a specific flavour?
- How many guests is it for? If you’ve not made your guest list yet, do that first
- Move onto image research. Think about your wedding theme and do some “[Wedding theme] cakes” searches in Google images, Pinterest and Instagram
- Gather a list of styles you like then start trimming it down until you have decided on a style. If you need some inspiration, check out some of these great ideas from Marta Stewart Weddings.
- Do another Google image search, this time adding your city(or wherever you are having your wedding) e.g. “[Wedding theme] cakes [your city]”
- Can you see an image like the style you decided on in step 3? Click through to the website and make sure they are in your city.
- Repeat step 5 if you want multiple options
- Send them this email
I came across your website and I like the look of your cakes.
I am getting married on [Wedding date] and wondered whether you would be available to provide a cake for this date?
Ideally, I am looking for [list of requirements from step 1]
If this is something you can cater to, could you please provide a quote for a cake that would feed [number of guests]
I look forward to hearing from you
- Wait on a response
- If they are free on your wedding date, do they meet your budget? If not, check if there is a cheaper option they offer?
- If you are happy with the price quoted, arrange to meet up for a tasting
- Meet up. Taste the cake. Ask about how they deliver the cake to the venue?
- If you are happy with the cake, email them to let them know that you would like to book them. Don’t just confirm in person, put it in writing
- Finalise details of the cake, cost and delivery of the cake on the wedding day
- Pass this info onto the wedding venue so they know when to expect arrival. Make sure they have a fridge that is large enough to store it in. Will somebody from the venue be available to meet the baker/delivery guy? If not, you may need to arrange somebody
- Advise the wedding caterer where the cake will be stored, when and how you would like it served and how many portions you would like cut(you may want to take some home?). If there are different flavours on different tiers, pass this info onto them now
And there you have it! You have just organised your cake. Bam!